It is a 2-years project funded by the Region of Tuscany and carried out by ILC-CNR together with the ICT company Hyperborea S.r.l. (Project Leader), the Web Application for the Future Internet (WAFI) Laboratory of the Institute of Informatics and Telematics of the National Research Council of Italy (IIT-CNR) and the Multimedia Information Retrieval (MIR) Group of the Institute of Information Science and Technologies “Alessandro Faedo” of the National Research Council of Italy (ISTI-CNR).
The project aims at developing a tool able to support journalists in the whole process consisting of detecting breaking news, collecting relevant information about them and writing articles.
The tool will "listen" to social media and will be able to automatically locate the breaking news.
For this purpose, NLP-based advanced methodologies will be devised to:
- detect and extract entities relevant to the description of news from social media documents;
- classify the documents with respect to the extracted information;
- identify the witnesses of particular events;
- identify the sentiment yielded by the documents;
- automatically summarize several documents in order to write newspaper articles.