Computer-Assisted Translation Tools
The Traduco system
The ILC has developed TRADUCO, a cutting-edge system for collaborative translations that facilitate, improve and speed up the translation of complex works. Besides the typical standard components of traditional CAT (Computer-Assisted Translation) tools, it includes features that simplify the translation process of texts with specific structural, stylistic, linguistic and hermeneutical issues.
The Traduco system, constantly upgraded, has been designed and implemented under the Babylonian Talmud Translation Project, that aims to build a collaborative Web system for the Italian translation of the Babylonian Talmud. The definition of the user requirements and specifications has been carried out in close collaboration with the project partners affiliated to the Union of Italian Jewish Communities (UCEI) and the Italian Rabbinical College (CRI).
One of the core components of the system is the Translation Memory (TM), a specific component that uses a catalogue of all translated sentences and can provide, automatically, suggestions for possible translations, even on a semantic basis.
- Accessible via web: contrary to desktop applications, it simply needs a navigation browser and an Internet connection;
- teamwork friendly: a translation team - composed by translators, proofreaders and editors - can work on the same data simultaneously and interactively;
- intelligent: a support system suggests automatically the most appropriate translation for each sentence, for time optimization and homogeneous final results;
- multimedia: it allows to upload textual resources as well as images, useful for advanced philological and palaeographical studies;
- adaptable to different languages: the text analysis and processing components can be adapted to different languages thanks to the probability-based system;
- applicable to different domains: the tool can easily be used in different domains;
- flexible and customizable: since it is based on a component architecture and open-source technologies, with minor adaptations, the developers can make extensions and customizations autonomously, according to their specific needs (language, goal, type of medium involved, etc.).
The system offers various functions; for instance, it allows to:
- insert notes, comments, bibliographical references, annotations and quotes;
- semantically markup the text;
- automatically create thematic categories;
- carry out complex searches in the original and translated text;
- display layouts created ad hoc and export translated texts for immediate production of paper copies;
- real time monitoring of the work done (completion percentage of the translation of the text, work done by each user, etc.) through a supervision panel.
During the presentation ceremony (held in Rome, at the Accademia dei Lincei, on April 5th, 2016) the first volume of the first-ever Italian translation of the Talmud has been delivered into the hands of the President of the Republic, Sergio Mattarella.
Scientific Supervisor and Coordinator: Emiliano Giovannetti (Andrea Bozzi fino al 30/06/2015)
Technical Supervisor: Davide Albanesi
Research and Development: Andrea Bellandi, Alessia Bellusci, Giulia Benotto, Francesco Bulleri, Enrico Carniani